June 21, 2012

Pepperoni Rolls

First I found these on Pinterest, then I started seeing that everyone was pinning them. Bonnie @ What About Pie details them here. We made them today for Adam's birthday party tomorrow. We're going swimming and I need something that will be easy for little people to hold. I'm also taking a bowl of pizza sauce that we'll spoon on the top much like we do the Taco Bell sauce when we eat burritos. I made enough for 8 people.

4 cans of refrigerated pizza crust (not the thin crust)
1 bag of pepperoni (we bought the Hormel bag)
6-8 oz shredded Parmesan cheese
2 pounds shredded mozzarella cheese
Italian seasoning (I only had oregano and basil on hand)
garlic powder (she uses salt, don't need the extra sodium here)

Roll out a can of pizza crust, move it into shape. Sprinkle Italian seasoning and garlic powder on the crust. Place 24 average size pepperoni on the crust. Sprinkle lightly with Parmesan then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. You don't need a lot of the Parmesan.

I left an edge on mine about 1" where I did not put anything but seasoning. Starting with the opposite end, start rolling keeping it all together. When you reach the end with only seasoning, you can lightly press it into the dough to seal it. Make sure your ends are sort of even and all of your toppings aren't falling out. Brush on the top with butter.

Place onto your stoneware with the sealed side down. Bake on 375° for about 22 minutes until you can make a tapping sound on the crust like with baked bread. Take out and let cool.

Next time I want to slice them and bake them, kind of like slice and bake cookies. I think making them like that would be great to take to a party.

And of course serve with pizza sauce on the side!

No comments: