November 13, 2008

Black Bean 'n' Pumpkin Chili


1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cups chicken broth
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained (I used pinto beans and liked them better than I think I'd have liked black beans)
2½ cups cubed, cooked turkey (I used ground beef)
1 can (15 oz) solid-pack pumpkin
1 can (14½ oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tsp dried parsley flakes (optional)
2 tsp chili powder (I used 2 tsp and it was really really mild - I think I might've used more or used a better chili powder)
1½ tsp dried oregano
1½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp salt

In a large skillet, saute the onion, yellow pepper and garlic in oil until tender (I sauteed them together with the ground beef and omitted the oil). Transfer to a 5qt slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. It was sooo yummy and if you use the turkey it's listed as 192 cals for 1 cup 1g sat fat, 7g of fiber.

No comments: