October 7, 2012

Apple Pie Cake

I received an email from Christy @ Southern Plate full of apple recipes. Hello? It's fall...what is better than the smell of something "apple-y" baking? I started with her Good n' Easy cake, then hit the brakes when I saw I needed a white cake mix. Since I never run to the store for 1 item, I had to do a search for how to make a white cake mix. After finding out how to make a white cake mix @ iambaker, I'm shocked at how much sugar is in the recipe!!! Is this how most cake mixes are? yikes! So here's the recipe I made last night...it's so yummy! Almost like a bread pudding, but I don't like bread pudding so don't runaway and not try this!

Cake:
2¾ cup flour
1¾ cups super fine sugar (I used regular sugar)
2 teaspoon baking powder
¾ tsp salt
3 eggs
1 can apple pie filling (would try without this next time)
1 cup chopped pecans
8-10 small apples, peeled and diced

Topping:
1 cup flour
1 cup white sugar
2 cup chopped pecans
2 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup softened butter

Pour apple pie filling and extra apples out onto a large plate and coarsely chop. Put all other ingredients in a mixing bowl; mix well. Add in apples and stir again. Pour into greased 13x18" pan. Prepare topping by mixing all topping ingredients together well with a fork and sprinkle topping over cake batter. Bake cake at 350° for 40-45 minutes.

No comments: