April 2, 2012

Homemade Granola Bars

The original recipe is here on Lynn's Kitchen Adventures. I was a bit skeptical but I made them anyway this afternoon. For us I made her version as is, for the kids, I altered it. There are so many things you can add to this basic recipe!

½ cup butter
½ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup
2 tablespoons honey
2-1/3 cups quick cooking oats

Grease 8x8 pan (I used butter). Preheat oven to 350°.  Put butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and honey in a pan and heat. Stir constantly until butter is melted, brown sugar is dissolved, and mixture is smooth.  Remove from heat and add oats. Stir until oats are well coated.  Spread mixture into pan and bake at 350° for 22 minutes. Cool 5 minutes and then cut into bars. Cool for about 1 hour and then remove from pan.
If you wait to cut and remove the bars until the pan is completely cooled, the bars will be very hard to remove.

The version I made for the kids was the same but:
¼ cup butter
¼ cup peanut butter
and I added about 2/3 cup Craisins while the butter and stuff was melting and blending so they could have a chance to get plump again.
Then I sprinkled on sprinkles before I baked them (they didn't melt).

Lynn cut them into 10 pieces. At first I thought it would be too small, but it turned out to be just perfect.

1 comment:

Jeri said...

optional recipes:
*use sugar/splenda instead of brown sugar
*add in chopped dry pineapple
*use 4T honey and cut out corn syrup
*sub 1/2 cup of honey for 1 stick of butter, add in 1/2 cup of raisins