January 28, 2009

Bush's Classic 2 Bean Chili

The original measurements for this recipe can be found on the label of Bush's Chili Beans. I've double everything except the ground beef to feed our family of 8.

1.5 lb lean ground beef, drained (since we use grass fed beef I don't drain)
1 onion, chopped (I used yellow onion)
1 green pepper, chopped (I skip this since it we have a food allergy)
2 16oz cans chili beans
2 16oz cans pinto beans
2 14.5oz can petite diced tomatoes (I used the petite diced ones)
2 6oz can tomato paste
1 cup water
½ tsp black pepper
1½ tsp salt
2 tbsp chili powder
3 tsp oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced OR 2 tbsp jarred minced garlic

In large pan, cook the beef, onion, and green pepper until meat is browned. Drain if necessary. Stir in remaining ingredients, except green onion and sour cream. Bring to boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

(Note: I doubled everything except the meat to feed our family of 6 for 2 meals. It barely made it for 2 meals and that was with no one having seconds at either meal.)


No comments: